The breastplate of righteousness
And having on the breastplate of righteousness. Eph. 6:14
The breastplate was very important for the soldier. The breastplate consisted of metal armor that covered everything from the neck to the thighs, both front and back. If you didn’t wear this into battle, you were severely exposed to the enemy. It protected some of your most vital organs. It was absolutely essential; you would not be able “to stand” without it.
For the Christian, righteousness is like that breastplate. When we live in righteousness, we are ready to withstand in the evil day; without righteousness of heart and life, we are exposed. Christian, God is calling you to be righteous. He is not calling you to be nice. He is not calling you to be “spiritual.” He is calling you to put on the breastplate of righteousness. It means living a life that is pleasing to God, whatever the world thinks about it. It means following his word, even when the world tells you to do the very opposite. It means selling out completely to the lordship of Jesus Christ over your life. It means holiness in thought and word and deed. It means living by the Book.
There are at least five important reasons why you should want to put on this breastplate.
1. God the Father’s purpose in election and predestination was to make you holy. See Ephesians 1:4.
2. The reason why Christ came to die and accomplish redemption was also so that you should be holy. See Titus 2:13-14.
3. The design of the Holy Spirit in giving us spiritual life in the new birth is to make us righteous men and women. See Romans 8:1-9.
4. It is God’s design in his word. See Psalm 119:9.
5. It is God’s purpose in his providential leading in our lives. See Hebrews 12:5-11.
Let us put on this breastplate of righteousness today, and every day.