The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards
With the New Year almost upon us, it is always a good thing to take an hour or so out of our busy-busy schedules and consider where we have been this year, and what we desire to be and do for Christ's sake in the coming year. Here are a few of the 21 resolutions that a young Jonathan Edwards made. He would later go on to be greatly used of the Lord during the Great Awakening in America. Do we wish to be used, as well? Then let us give ourselves utterly to His keeping and to the pursuit of His glory:
Being sensible that I am unable to do anything without God's help, I do humbly entreat him by his grace to enable me to keep these Resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to his will, for Christ's sake.
Remember to read over these Resolutions once a week.
- Resolved, never to do any manner of thing, whether in soul or body, less or more, but what tends to the glory of God; nor be, nor suffer it, if I can avoid it.
- Resolved, never to lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can.
- Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.
- Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if it were the last hour of my life.
- Resolved, to act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their failings promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God.
To view, and meditate on, all 21 resolutions click here .