Good news for today’s news
This morning, as I peruse the headlines on Google news, there are many weighty issues facing America and the world. This is certainly not always the case, since many days the top headlines are stretching so far as to include Hollywood gossip or insignificant human interest stories in order to try to "make" news that will grab viewers' attention, when there really is none.
The American presidential election race is beginning to heat up; there is further flooding in the record-breaking calamity in the Midwest; California is starting same-sex marriages; and there are countless tensions and tragedies on the global front, including Taliban fighters in Afganistan and cyclone survivors in Myanmar and U.S. soldiers in Iraq.
In times like this, I find it helpful to review certain verses that help keep a God-on-top view of the world. No matter what uncertainties are faced in our country, no matter what catastrophes are occurring around the world, no matter what pains you may personally be going through -- God's throne is never vacant and He still holds sovereign sway over every event, whether momentous or minute.
No matter what the breaking news, the real news is good news. So wrap your mind and heart and emotions and faith around these verses, for this day:
- "The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will" Proverbs 21:1.
- "I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure" Isaiah 46:9-10.
- "Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all" Psalm 34:19.
- "All things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose" Romans 8:28.
- "In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will" Ephesians 1:11.
- "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it" 1 Corinthians 10:13.
- "Who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counselor? Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen" Romans 11:34-36.